Wednesday 24 March 2010

Almost ready for the off

It's Wednesday evening – and my ability to concentrate coherently waned ages ago.

This is ridiculous: I'm more obviously excited than I've been about a trip for – well, years.

I have most of my packing done – and have complied a list of 'things to do' and 'things to pack'. The Other Half laughs at such lists, but they do help to be a tad better in the organisation stakes. And hopefully, they also help to avoid my near legendary ability to forget to pack something or other.

I'm also getting close to incapable of eating anything much, although The Other Half made it quite clear this morning that the idea of omelettes or a frittata tonight were not his idea of a proper meal. So I picked up some sausages after work and may well let him do something with them. To be honest, I don't know what I fancy – I'd struggle to eat at present.

Then there will be the small matter of sleep. I'll struggle. My mind will buzz non-stop; I know exactly what I'm like.

And there is still so much to do – or at least it certainly feels that way.

This is exactly what I hate about travel – the near panic beforehand.

6.51pm: The Other Half is practicing doing up his bow tie while we wait for our cat sitter to call.

He went to collect his suit yesterday and then, once at home in the evening, tried it on – only to find that neither the evening shirt nor evening waistcoat had had 'button' holes put in for the studs. He had to take it back this morning and then go and collect it late this afternoon. But that's sorted now.

Quite a lot more done – but plenty more to do.

I feel as though I'm not going to get everything sorted in time.

20.42pm: finally I'm beginning to feel a bit more relaxed.

Ivan, our cat sitter, called and everything is sorted on that front. Boudicca, who usually runs away when anyone visits, actually came to say 'hello' to him, while the kittens seemed singularly unbothered by the presence of someone 'new' in their home. Indeed, Loki jumped onto the back of the chair he sat in to have a cuppa and sniffed his hair very carefully and closely.

I've managed to eat – and all I have to do now (I think) is polish my boots for tomorrow. Oh, and then have one of those lovely long baths that starts with fiddly jobs such as having a shave.

Who knows – I might even get some sleep tonight. There'll be no trouble rising tomorrow – the moment the light comes up, the furry alarm clocks will be busy trying to rouse us, and me in particular.

1 comment:

  1. I also have to make lists of things to do and what to pack when I'm going to travel. It is a necessity!

    Have a wonderful time on your trip. I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete